One of my favorite desserts is a fruit crisp. I love the brown sugar, butter and oats! The slight crispiness to the topping is just delightful. Plus a crisp can be thrown together in just a few minutes and be made with just about any fruit. I had some apples that needed to be used and an apple crisp was a perfect dessert.
- 5 Cups Apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- ½ Cup Oats
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Flour
- ¼ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ Cup Butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place sliced apples in a 2-quart square baking dish. Sprinkle sugar over top and mix.
- In a separate bowl combine oats, brown sugar, flour, nutmeg and cinnamon. Cut in butter using a pastry blender. The mixture should become coarse and crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping over apples.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Other fruit can be used in this recipe. I have made peach and blueberry crisps plenty of times. For fruit that is more on the tart side, add a little more sugar.
- Nuts can be added into the topping if you like. I like to add coarsely chopped walnuts.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!
- If you have the canned apple pie filling, it makes a great base for this recipe. Just omit the granulated sugar on the apples in second step.
What is one of your favorite desserts? For more ideas, checkout my recipe index!