Since many summer fruits are in season, it’s a good time to experiment with adding them into salads. Caramelizing the pineapple brings out the sweetness while the avocado adds a buttery nuttiness. To make this salad a whole meal, add chicken breast or nuts. Pecans, walnuts or pine nuts would be great in this salad.
This recipe calls for the dressing to be mixed into the salad. If you are not going to serve the salad immediately, leave the dressing on the side. The salad will not keep well if the dressing is mixed in. Vary the ingredients in this salad based on what’s in season. For example, you might replace the strawberries with blackberries, blueberries or even peaches. Any sweet fruit will do!
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1" slices
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 avocados, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 2 hearts romaine lettuce, chopped
- In a small bowl combine sugar and chili powder. Sprinkle over pineapple.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add pineapple slices and cook until sugar is caramelized and pineapple is light brown. The process takes about 10 minutes and you will need to flip pineapple once.
- Remove pineapple from pan and let cool. Cut into 1" pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, orange juice, cilantro and garlic.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, avocado, strawberries and pineapple to the dressing bowl. Lightly toss.
- Add in the romaine lettuce and toss.
- Serve immediately.
Add walnuts, pecans or pine nuts.