Eggplant was on sale at Kroger last week for $1 per pound. Hubby and I both enjoy eggplant parmesan so I came up with a baked version. I always serve pasta with eggplant parmesan so I decided to place spaghetti right in the dish!
Recipe: Baked Spaghetti Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Italian Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (25-ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 package Whole Wheat Spaghetti Noodles
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place a backing sheet in the oven when it is preheating.
- Dip eggplant rounds in egg and then into breadcrumb mixture.
- Pull hot baking sheet out of oven and place olive oil on it. The oil will spread nicely around the hot sheet.
- Place eggplant covered in breadcrumbs on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn the eggplant over and continue to bake for another 10 minutes.
- While the eggplant is baking, make spaghetti noodles according to package directions.
- Place a thin layer of pasta sauce in the bottom of a 13×11 baking pan. Place cooked and drained spaghetti noodles over top.
- When the eggplant is done, place a layer of eggplant over the spaghetti noodles. Layer with more pasta sauce and cheese. If you have more eggplant, do another layer.
- Just dot the very top layer of eggplant with sauce so that some of the eggplant gets a little crispy.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly.
- If you don’t want pasta, just leave the spaghetti out! Eggplant, sauce and cheese are good without pasta too.
- You can bake extra eggplant for sandwiches.
Make sure you check out the rest of my easy recipes!