On a recent snow day, I decided that we needed a special breakfast. Something sweet, yet filling. I came across this baked oatmeal recipe that I adapted to ingredients we had on hand. It turned out really good!
Use whatever berries you have on hand. I used fresh strawberries with a handful of blueberries. You could use blackberries or raspberries too. Although I used fresh fruit, you could also used frozen berries.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped and divided
- ½ cup sliced almonds, divided
- ½ cup chocolate chips, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 banana, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat a 2.75 qrt baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine rolled oats, brown sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Add ½ cup strawberries, ¼ cup sliced almonds and ¼ cup chocolate chips. Pour oatmeal mixture into greased baking dish.
- Place the rest of the strawberries, almonds and chocolate chips on top of the oatmeal mixture. Also add sliced banana.
- In another large bowl, wisk together milk, egg, butter and vanilla. Pour milk mixture over the oatmeal mixture. Shake the pan slightly to make sure the milk sinks to the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
* Vary the nuts, pecans and walnuts would be good too!