Crisps are my favorite type of dessert! The brown sugar and butter crust with the warm fruit is delicious. This crisp is a bit different since there is a crust on the bottom and the top. Use a variety of berries- fresh or frozen.
Mix the berries and sugar together and let sit. I used frozen berries so I let them sit for about an hour to defrost.
Melt the butter in the baking dish while the oven is preheating.
Half of the crumb mixture is placed on the bottom of the baking dish with the berries placed on top.
The rest of the crumb mixture is placed on top before baking.
The result is crumbs on top and bottom with sweet fruit in the middle! Yummy!
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the butter in a 9x13 baking dish and place in the oven while it's preheating to melt.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together blackberries and blueberries, and white sugar; set aside. If berries are frozen, let sit for 1 hour.
- In a separate large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pour melted butter into flour and oatmeal mixture. Mix until crumbly.
- Press half of the crumble mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan.
- Cover with berries. Sprinkle remaining crumble mixture over the berries.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown.
This recipe may be linked at I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Two Maids Milking, The Saturday Evening Pot, Permanent Posies, 33 Shades of Green, Blackberry Vine , Polka Dots on Parade, Southern Lovely, Crystal & Comp, Tatertots & Jello