The name of this decadent dessert speaks for itself. I always bake mine in two pans and give one away at the start in order to limit the temptation of eating slice after slice after slice of this delicious indulgence!
After the cake is done cooking, poke holes in the cake with the end of a wooden spoon. Then pour a caramel sauce mixture over top to soak into the cake. Oh my, so good!
- 1 Pillsbury Moist Supreme German Chocolate or Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- ⅓ cup oil (or substitute applesauce for oil for a few less calories in this calorie laden dessert)
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 3 eggs (or corresponding measurement for egg substitute—I like All Whites)
- 14 oz can of sweetened fat free condensed milk
- 10 oz of caramel syrup
- 6-8 oz of light whip topping, thawed
- Candy topping (I used #3 chopped cashew snappies—but any favorite candy bar or chocolate chopped up on top will do the trick---choose your favorite!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prep either a 9x13 cake pan or #2 8” square or round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Begin by preparing the cake batter; combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs in a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the ingredients for several minutes until all ingredients are fully combined and free of lumps.
- Transfer cake mix into cake pan(s) and bake according to package instructions. I always use 2 pans and I bake the 8” squares for 32-35 minutes.
- While baking commences, in a large pourable measuring cup or bowl mix together the sweetened condensed milk and caramel syrup. Reserve ½ cup and refrigerate.
- Chop up desired candy topping and set aside.
- Remove cakes from oven when finished baking, cool for 5 minutes, then using the handle of a wooden spoon poke random holes all over the cake about ¾ depth of the cake itself.
- Pour caramel mixture into holes and over cake(s) and cool completely.
- Once cooled, fold the reserved caramel mixture into the whip topping and spread evenly over cake(s).
- Sprinkle lavishly with candy topping!
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Serve & enjoy!
This recipe may be linked at I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Two Maids Milking, The Saturday Evening Pot, Permanent Posies, 33 Shades of Green, Blackberry Vine , Polka Dots on Parade, Southern Lovely, Crystal & Comp, Tatertots & Jello