Last year—–yes, a year ago already… we shared with you this recipe for Bird’s Nest Cookies; it is fun, fast and….they taste fantastic! What makes this recipe even better is it’s the perfect cooking craft project for mini kitchen helpers; it requires no baking so you don’t have to worry about hot pans and little hands. Gather your ingredients, your children and a few more little peeps to help you create a treat you will have to have at least two of……or more!
Recipe: Bird’s Nest Cookie Recipe
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate chips (or substitute dark chocolate chips if you prefer)
- 6 oz butterscotch chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (for less calories use a reduced fat peanut butter & reduce amount to ¾ cup)
- 6 oz chow mein noodles
- 36 mini Hershey’s Cadbury Eggs or Jelly Beans
- Spray or grease (with butter) a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Combine the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a large microwave safe bowl; heat until thoroughly melted in intervals of 30-45 seconds, stirring after each interval.
- When completely melted, add peanut butter and mix well.
- Next add the chow mein noodles and gently fold into the melted mixture to coat. The use of a rubber spatula is recommended in order to prevent crushing the chow mein noodles while mixing and will also aide in scraping the edges of the bowl.
- Once thoroughly coated, use a large spoon to fill each muffin cup. Create a small pocket that will later house the eggs by indenting the top of each with the back of the spoon.
- Allow nests to harden in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Once chilled, remove the nests from the muffin tin by using a butter knife to gently pop them out.
- Place 2-3 eggs on the top of each.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- If making for a school treat try substituting a peanut butter replacement like Wowbutter or Nutella in place of the peanut butter.
- For bite size morsels or rather teeny tiny bird’s nest, gently break but don’t pulverize the chow mein noodles into smaller pieces and use a mini muffin pan and 1 egg to top!
Make sure you check out my other easy recipes!