If you are looking for a meatless Monday idea, try these black bean cakes! They have a lot of flavor with the taco seasoning mix, onion and garlic. Of course if you are serving them to picky children, leave out some of the spice! These black bean cakes are great served with avocado corn salsa!
- ¾ cup diced red onion
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 2 (15-oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed, divided
- ½ cup panko
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- Sauté onion in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic. Remove from heat.
- Mash together taco seasoning and 2 cups black beans in a large bowl with a fork. Stir in panko, egg, cilantro, onion mixture, pepper Jack cheese, and remaining black beans until well blended.
- Shape mixture into 6 (1/2-inch-thick) patties.
- Cook patties in remaining 3 Tbsp. hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve with salsa or on a bun as a "burger"!
Make sure you check out my other easy recipes in my recipe index!