Pizza is my favorite food—I have always loved it and I will always love it, BUT my tastes and preferences for what to me constitutes the perfect pizza has dramatically changed over the years and most recently the past two years as my family and I have learned the art of pizza making! I used to crave an oily cheesy meat loaded pizza with slices as big as my plate, but now I dream of veggie pizzas made with real tomatoes and chunks of fresh mozzarella and basil leaves or a base of olive oil and herbs topped with mushrooms and sautéed spinach and mushrooms! Whatever you’re craving—make it yourself and make it fun! We recently tried something new in our pizza adventures—BRAIDED pizzas—fun for all! Try it out!
Making a braided stromboli is pretty easy but looks really fancy! With a pastry cutter, cut the pizza dough into strips leaving about 4″ of dough in the middle uncut. The middle section which is uncut will hold the topping ingredients.
Once the toppings are loaded, start braiding the pizza crust by criss crossing the cut strips of dough.
- 1 homemade or store bought pizza dough crust
- Pizza toppings of choice
- Sauce, spreads or oils of choice
- Cheese(s) of choice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out dough on a well-floured sheet of parchment paper (placed on a solid surface) into a rectangle—aim for an approximate size of 10x12.
- Using a pizza cutter or pastry cutter start at one end of the rectangle and make a straight 2-3 inch cut into the dough horizontally along one side, continue to make cuts about every 1-2 inches along the length of the rectangle, then mimic the cut on the opposite side.
- Down the middle (there should remain about 4 inches of uncut dough in this vicinity) spread your sauce, toppings and cheese evenly along the length---pile as little or as much as you’d like but be sure there is enough room to fold the dough over it.
- Once you’ve placed your toppings then begin braiding the Stromboli together. Start on either the right or the left at one end and criss cross the slices of cut dough over one another down the length of the rectangle then pinch closed the ends on either end of the Stromboli before transferring (parchment paper and all) to a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until you can see the stuffing inside bubbling up and the crust is golden brown.
- Serve & enjoy!