Moist, decadent and beyond amazing this chocolate cake recipe is the only chocolate cake recipe you’ll ever need. I combined a few different tips and tricks from different recipes I viewed when searching around for the perfect chocolate cake to make for my son’s 1st birthday. I made it—it was devoured and one of our birthday guests messaged me the next day to say she would pay me to make that cake for her again—I did (without charging) and she said it was “lethal”! I’d say that’s testament enough to any chocolate lover that this is the cake for you!
After the cake batter is prepared, sprinkle chocolate chips in the pan before baking.
Make a double decker cake with frosting in between the layers. Then add your favorite frosting to cover the outside!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup Hershey’s Cocoa Powder or Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp Nescafé Clasico Dark Roast Pure Instant Coffee
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips), divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prep #2 9” cake pans with cooking spray or baker’s joy.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and instant coffee granules (once all mixed it should look like a prepackaged dry chocolate cake mix).
- Add milk, oil, eggs and vanilla and mix together on medium speed until well combined.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add boiling water to the batter; once completely added and initially mixed increase speed to high and beat for 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Transfer batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans and sprinkle with ¼ cup chocolate chips each.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 10-15 minutes before frosting with your favorite frosting!
This recipe may be linked at I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Two Maids Milking, The Saturday Evening Pot, Permanent Posies, 33 Shades of Green, Blackberry Vine , Polka Dots on Parade, Southern Lovely, Crystal & Comp, Tatertots & Jello