This salad is a melody of sweet, lime-y clean eating! It can become sweeter by adding more sugar or one can leave it out completely to reduce the sweetness altogether. You can add chopped celery or carrots for a crunchier salad—toss in a few soynuts or sunflower seeds to meet your nut intake for the day. It is a crunchy, light salad that can be as versatile as you! Chop your own cabbage head and/or use packaged coleslaw for it to be ready in minutes—–meaning you can be eating this in just five minutes!
Remember that you can freeze lime juice when you find limes on sale. This is a perfect recipe to use frozen lime juice on. This would be superb to serve with egg rolls and/or a sauteed dish! It is a neutral, light salad to enjoy year round!
- 1 package coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots---12 ounces)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, washed
- ¼ cup chopped purple onions
- ¼ cup chopped celery (or one stalk---more for a crunchier salad)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or 1 tbsp for a sweeter salad)
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil---or a bit more if you have a bigger bag of slaw
- 2 fresh limes juiced (or red wine vinegar can be subbed out if you don't have limes or don't like limes)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine everything in a medium sized salad bowl.
- Toss in the lime juice, sugar, olive oil----and salt & pepper.
- Eat immediately and/or chill to serve throughout the week.