Sweet potatoes aren’t just for Thanksgiving anymore or they shouldn’t be. Experiment with different recipes and reap their nutritional goodness anytime of the year. They pack almost 2x as much dietary fiber as regular potatoes and are a concentrated source of vitamin C, A, B6 and other antioxidants and minerals. Give this recipe for a side dish packed with a citrusy sweet taste a try tonight!
- 2 lg or 1 ½ lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter (substitute with light or yogurt butter for less calories)
- ½ cup orange juice (no pulp)
- Zest from ½ an orange
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- In a large pot boil peeled and diced sweet potatoes until fork tender; drain and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter, orange juice, orange zest and cinnamon. Using a hand masher or electric mixer (I used my KitchenAid mixer), beat until no longer lumpy and all ingredients are well incorporated together.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
Make sure you check out my other easy recipes!