Are you enjoying the abundance of summer’s fruits and vegetables? You may want to try out Melissa Lanz’s new book, The Fresh 20, as you recreate dishes that will keep you fueled for hours and make you want just one more bite. Amazon.com lists the The Fresh 20: 20-Ingredient Meal Plans for Health and Happiness 5 Nights a Week for $19.25 & free shipping on orders over $25.
Several of Lanz’s receipes were shared in Shape’s March 2013 magazine with a layout for an entire week of meals—fresh meals! Here’s one that I found interesting———I (Litsa) would love to try the red beans & quinoa mix!!
- 1 ½ cups dry quinoa
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ small red onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 15-ounce cans low-sodium pinto beans, rinses & drained
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 radishes, sliced
- Combine quinoa with 6 cups water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer; cover & cook for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer 2 cups to an airtight container to be stored in the fridge for Thursday’s dinner (per weekly menu layout that was featured in Shape).
- Meanwhile, cover chicken with lemon juice & sprinkle with 1 ½ teaspoons salt. Use your fingers to run in cumin, making sure to coat all sides.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Add chicken in a single layer & cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden. Turn & cook 4 to 5 minutes more until cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside to cool. Wrap up half the chicken & store in fridge for Thursday’s dinner (again per Shape’s weekly layout menu).
- In the same skillet over medium-high, add remaining olive oil and red onion. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Season with remaining salt and cayenne pepper. Add pinto beans, vinegar, and pepper; combine & bring to a simmer. Stir in 3 cups prepared quinoa, remove from heat, and mix in parsley. Remove all but 1 ½ cups of quinoa mixture; let cool, then store in the fridge for Wednesday’s dinner (per weekly layout menu).
- Divide chicken and quinoa mixture evenly among four plates. Garnish with radish slices & serve.
What “FRESH” items are you cooking this summer?
Recipe Credit: Shape/March 2013 issue (p. 170)
Additionally, visit Lanz’s website: thefresh20.com/cookbook.
Latest posts by Litsa @How to Have it All (see all)
- Earn Money With Jingit - April 18, 2014
- SavingStar Freebie: Oikos Yogurt - April 18, 2014
- Skinny Meals: Everything You Need to Know to Lose Weight-Fast - April 17, 2014