Impress your guests or just your family with this sinfully rich and decadent chocolate pie—easy to make, no baking required and every last crumb is sure to disappear! This recipe calls for a homemade layer of caramel. Did you know caramel is really easy to make? It’s just butter, sugar and heavy cream! This chocolate pie is not low in calories, however we all deserve a rich treat every now and then.
The trick to making this dark chocolate salted caramel pie is to freeze the layers. Once you make the caramel, place it in the pie crust and then freeze. Then the chocolate layer is made and once again the pie is frozen. It just takes a little patience, but other than that, this recipe is simple!
- Premade Oreo cookie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 8 tbsp. salted butter, cubed
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cup heavy whipping cream, divided (1: ¼)
- 12 oz. 60-72% Dark Cacao Chocolate Chunks (or preferred variety)
- ¼- ½ tsp. sea salt (more or less to taste)
- Course or flaky salt (garnish--optional)
- In a small saucepan combine butter and brown sugar; blend over medium heat whisking constantly until bubbly, once bubbling boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in sea salt and ¼ cup heavy whipping cream until smooth, set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled pour into pie crust and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Place chocolate chunks into a large glass bowl.
- About 15 minutes after freezing caramel layer begin next step.
- In another small saucepan heat remaining 1 cup heavy whipping cream to a simmer, remove from heat and pour over chocolate chunks; let sit for 5 minutes and then whisk until smooth.
- Pour evenly over caramel layer in pie crust and return to freezer for an additional 30-45 minutes or until chocolate layer has set.
- Transfer to refrigerator until ready to serve, sprinkle with additional flaky or course salt before serving if desired.
- Serve & enjoy!
Chocolate graham crackers would make a suitable alternative to Oreo cookie crust.
Double the ingredients for the caramel if you’d like a really thick caramel layer and extend freeze time to 45 minutes.
For individual desserts assemble layers in mini cheesecake pans or mini tart pans dividing ingredients as equally as possible for each layer.