One of my favorite things to do before Christmas is to make homemade candy and other baked goods. I give my neighbors and coworkers a plate of goodies each year. It is a nice way to tell them that they are appreciated without spending a ton of money.
My favorite recipe is English Toffee. This recipe has been in my family for years!
2 cups sugar
2 cups butter
2 Tablespoons Corn Syrup
6 Tablespoons Water
3/4 cup walnuts
2 Hershey candy bar
Prepare cookie sheet by lining it with foil. Add 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts and 2 finely chopped Hershey chocolate bar.
Combine the rest of the ingredients in a heavy duty stock pot. Boil until your candy thermometer reaches 290 degrees. You need to stir constantly to prevent burning. I find using a long wooden spoon works the best as you will get hot!
When the mixture reaches 290 degrees pour it on your prepared cookie sheet. Let cool until it cracks easily apart.
- The toffee will start to thicken and turn a caramel color when it is getting close to 290 degrees.
- There are several ways to do the nuts and chocolate. An easy way is to spread both on the cookie sheet and poor the hot toffee on top. If you want a smooth chocolate coating, pour the toffee on the cookie sheet and then place chocolate on top. Let it melt and then spread with a flexible spatula.
- Chocolate chips can be used instead of Hershey Bars.
Latest posts by Renae Chiovaro (see all)
- Apple Pie Filling Freezer Recipe - October 20, 2014
- Daily Family Play + Quaker Giveaway | #QuakerPlayMaker - October 20, 2014
- Running Shoes up to 70% Off - October 19, 2014