One of my favorite things to do before Christmas is to make homemade candy and other baked goods. I give my neighbors and coworkers a plate of goodies each year. It is a nice way to tell them that they are appreciated without spending a ton of money.
My favorite recipe is English Toffee. This recipe has been in my family for years! Around the age of 12, my mom handed over the baking and candy making duty to me. I have faithfully made this English toffee recipe every since.
Candy making is not hard, it just takes time and patience. My biggest tip for making toffee is to to constantly stir the mixture. It will burn easily if you leave it unattended. So roll up your sleeves, grab a wooden spoon and stir, stir, stir.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups butter
- 2 Tablespoons Corn Syrup
- 6 Tablespoons Water
- ¾ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 Hershey candy bars, chopped
- Prepare cookie sheet by lining it with foil.
- In a heavy duty stock pot combines sugar, butter, corn syrup and water. Boil until your candy thermometer reaches 290 degrees. You need to stir constantly to prevent burning. I find using a long wooden spoon works the best as you will get hot!
- When the mixture reaches 290 degrees pour it on your prepared cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the chocolate over top of the hot toffee. Let it sit for a minute or two until it starts to melt. Take a flexible rubber spatula and gently spread our the chocolate. Sprinkle walnuts over top of melted chocolate.
- Let cool until it cracks easily apart.
- The toffee will start to thicken and turn a caramel color when it is getting close to 290 degrees.
- There are several ways to do the nuts and chocolate. An easy way is to spread both on the cookie sheet and poor the hot toffee on top. If you want a smooth chocolate coating, pour the toffee on the cookie sheet and then place chocolate on top. Let it melt and then spread with a flexible spatula.
- Chocolate chips can be used instead of Hershey Bars.
Latest posts by Renae Chiovaro (see all)
- Work Week Menu Plan Week of 8/3/15 - August 3, 2015
- File it Friday: Hot Chocolate Bar, Skinny Chicken Salad + More - July 31, 2015
- New Recipe Resource + Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe - July 29, 2015