Do you keep telling yourself you should switch to fruit and yogurt for breakfast, but then find yourself reaching for a muffin as you walk out the door instead? Well now you can have both! This muffin recipe cuts out the oil, eggs and dozens of calories you’ll find in traditional muffins and lets you enjoy the healthy benefits of fruit and yogurt in a whole new way!
Recipe: Fruit & Yogurt Muffins
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat white flour (or any type you favor)
- ¾ cup sugar (or corresponding measurement for sugar substitute)
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted (substitute light or yogurt butter for less calories)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup plain or flavored yogurt (experiment with different varieties)
- 2/3 cup of milk
- ½-¾ cup of frozen mixed berries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare a 12 cup muffin pan with Baker’s Joy or paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in yogurt, milk, melted butter and fruit until combined.
- Fill each muffin cup.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Note: temperatures in ovens may vary so watch carefully!
Experiment with your favorite fruit or what’s in season or on sale at your local grocery store. Blueberries, grated apple & cinnamon, drained fruit cocktail, chopped pineapple or mango, smashed banana or fresh berries would all make wonderful alternatives! You could also add different chopped nuts or spices to your recipe! The combinations are endless!
Make sure you check out the rest of my easy recipes!