Homemade biscuits are so delicious! Although there are premade biscuits available in stores, nothing beats homemade biscuits. Especially right out of the oven! My favorite way to eat homemade biscuits is with butter and honey.
This recipe for homemade biscuits uses Greek yogurt instead of milk. If you want, you can substitute honey for the sugar in the recipe. Add fresh herbs or cheese for different variations.
To make homemade biscuits, a biscuit cutter comes in handy. You can use a rim of a glass but I found the biscuit cutters easier. Plus they are really inexpensive to buy!
- 2 cups all purpose or bread flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. sugar or honey
- 6 tbsp. COLD butter, cubed
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prep a large baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer whisk together flour, baking powder, salt & sugar. Attach bowl and paddle attachment to the mixer.
- Add butter and mix on low until a course crumbly mixture develops or alternatively use a pastry cutter to mix in the butter until pea sized chunks result.
- In a small bowl beat the egg then stir in the Greek yogurt until blended.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl and mix on low until the dough comes together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead with your hands just a few times until any stray dough is incorporated and it is soft and elastic. This shouldn’t take very long.
- Roll out the dough to between 1-2 inches thick and cut using biscuit cutters or the rim of a glass in the size you desire.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Larger or smaller biscuits may take more or less time so watch them closely.
- Serve & enjoy! Yields 6-8 biscuits depending on size and thickness.