Rich and decadent this salted caramel sauce is heavenly. This sauce can be used to coat caramel apples, drizzle over ice cream, stir in a latte, make a chocolate caramel torte or a million other things. Simply divine and so easy! You’ll never use store-bought caramel sauce again!
The main ingredients for caramel sauce are butter, sugar and whipping cream. Really it’s very simple. The hardest part is getting the temperature correct. Don’t leave the pot to boil on it’s own, you need to watch and stir constantly as butter and sugar can burn easily.
This caramel sauce could be used in this dark chocolate caramel pie or for caramel apples or a topping for the mini heath bar cheesecakes! These are just a few recipes that I have used this caramel sauce in.
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed (may substitute light brown sugar if its available although you wont get as deep a caramel color)
- 1-2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (more or less depending on preference)
- In a small pot over medium-high heat continuously whisk together butter, salt, whipping cream and sugar; bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer stirring frequently for about 5 minutes (it will thicken pretty quickly). Add vanilla, stir, remove from heat and transfer to a heatproof container to cool slightly before using.
- Serve & enjoy! Store leftovers in the refrigerator.