We like to use Johnsonville Italian Sausage in our pasta recipes since it adds a ton of flavor. One of hubby’s favorite meals is lasagna. Since lasagna is a time consuming and expensive meal, I came up with an alternative! It tastes like lasagna but can be made in much smaller portions. By the way, don’t miss the information at the end of this post about winning a culinary trip to Italy! This is my entry for the contest!
Recipe: Italian Sausage Lasagna Rollups
- 6 Lasagna Noodles
- 3 Johnsonville Sweet Italian Sausage Links
- 1 Cup Cottage Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- 3/4 Cup Pasta Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook Johnsonville Italian Sausage links according to package directions.
- While the sausage is cooking, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- In a small bowl beat egg. Add cottage cheese, Italian seasoning,Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Mix until incorporated.
- When sausage links are cooked through, remove them from heat and cut them in half to create 6 pieces.
- Drain lasagna noodles.
- Place a small amount of pasta sauce in the bottom of an 8×8 baking pan.
- Spread a spoonful of cheese mixture on top of a noodle.
- Place a sausage link on top of the cheese mixture and rollup the noodle. Place seem side down in the 8×8 baking pan on top of the pasta sauce. Repeat until you have 6 rollups.
- Pour remaining sauce over the rollups and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Substitute ricotta cheese for cottage cheese if you want.
- Use various types of sausage in your rollups. You can also use ground sausage if you prefer.
Recipe by Renae.
I hope this recipe has inspired you to get cooking with Johnsonville Italian Sausage! Right now Johnsonville is having an Italian Inspiration recipe contest. Create your own unique recipe using Johnsonville Sausage, submit the photo and be entered to win a culinary trip for two to Abruzzo, Italy courtesy of CookingVacations.com! How cool would that be! To get you started, there is a $1/1 Johnsonville Italian Sausage coupon available!
Disclosure: I am part of the Johnsonville Kitchens Community Blogger Panel. All opinions expressed are mine.