Spring is in the air and summer salads are back on the menu! Packed with veggies, quick to make and extremely versatile, this salad will have you in the mood for cookouts and grilling if you aren’t already! My husband loves to snack on it if we have it in the fridge, so adjust the quantities depending on how many individuals you’ll be servings because this recipe will feed a good sized get together!
Recipe: Italian Tortellini Salad Recipe
- 20-30 oz cheese filled tortellini (or your preference, I love using spinach tortellini too)
- 5 oz package of mini pepperonis (substitute 60% less fat turkey pepperonis for less calories)
- 6 oz can of black olives, sliced in half
- 10 oz package of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 8-10 oz fat free or light Italian dressing
- ½ – 1 tsp dried basil (or give it a few good shakes like I do)
- Boil water, when boiling cook tortellini according to package instructions.
- While tortellini is cooking, wash, dry and prepare veggies.
- Measure out 8 oz of dressing.
- In a large bowl combine veggies, dressing and pepperonis.
- When tortellini is finished cooking, drain and rinse in cold water. Once thoroughly drained add to bowl and mix everything together.
- Chill and enjoy!
- This salad is adaptable to any palate; add onions, sliced avocado, red or yellow peppers, diced cucumber or toss in some crumbled cheese or feta cheese to add taste and texture etc.
- Experiment! Or if you don’t like pepperoni add some seasoned ground beef or Italian sausage or omit the meat altogether for a vegan dish!