One of my boys favorite meals is Macaroni & Cheese. We are a cheese loving family! I don’t make it too often as it is loaded with calories. When I do make it, I reserve half for the freezer.
Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
1 lb. Elbow Macaroni
3 Tablespoons Butter
3 Tablespoons Flour
2 Cups Milk
1 Cup Light Cream (or substitute with another cup of milk)
3 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Dash of Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cook elbow macaroni to al dente according to package directions. Drain pasta and add a splash of olive oil to keep it from sticking together. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Wisk in flour. Add in milk, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Heat until it just starts to bubble. Add in cheese and stir until melted. Poor cheese sauce over drained pasta and mix together. Place in a 13×9 pan and bake until cheese is bubbling – about 30 minutes.
Since this recipe makes a large batch, I divide it into two before baking. One pan goes in the oven for dinner and the other goes into the freezer.
- Cook pasta only to al dente – overcooking will make it too soggy.
- Prepare recipe as instructed but do not bake before freezing.
- Cool macaroni and cheese completely before placing in freezer.
- Place plastic wrap and foil overtop of dish to prevent freezer burn. I press the plastic wrap directly on top of the pasta.
- Defrost by placing in the refrigerator overnight. Bake as directed.
This recipe was adapted from Rachel Ray’s Freezer to Oven Mac and Cheese.
Make sure you check out the rest of my easy recipes!