Simple recipes packed full of flavor are always a hit in my household. Better yet, if the recipe can be made in 0ne-pot! This is a one-pot pasta recipe combining the magically flavors of basil and tomato. Dinner can be on the table in less than 30 minutes with minimal cleanup!
The key to this one-pot recipe is layering the ingredients in a large pot or dutch oven. Pasta goes in first then the liquids and spice on top. The spinach is not added until after the pasta is al dente. Spinach cooks quickly so there is no need to add it in the beginning.
Shrimp can also be added to this pot for variation!
- 12 ounces dry pasta (penne, fusilli, etc.)
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- ½ medium-size yellow onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅓ cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (6-oz.) package baby spinach
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot or dutch oven place the following ingredients in order: pasta, tomatoes, chicken broth, eater, onion, garlic, oregano, basil, salt and olive oil.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat (about 12 to 15 minutes). Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, 10 to 12 minutes or until pasta is slightly al dente, stirring at 5-minute intervals.
- Remove from heat, and stir in spinach. Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir just before serving. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
This recipe was adapted from here.