I’ve always heard that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but Woman’s Day summer June 2012 issue stated that “an orange a day can help keep the doctor away!” Thus, you’ll want to make sure you put oranges, grapefruit and lemons on your grocery shopping list. Here are some citrus facts that will keep you going back for more:
- Oranges are loaded in vitamin C (one medium orange can house approximately 70mg, which satisfies nearly 100% of your daily needs).
- One grapefruit can house up to 88mg of vitamin C.
- Lemon juice (from one lemon) meets 25% of your daily vitamin C requirements and lime juice (from one lime) meets 18% of your daily vitamin C requirements.
- Grapefruits are an excellent source of vitamin A. Half a grapefruit should satisfy more than half of your daily recommended amount of vitamin A.
- Citrus fruits contain fiber, which helps you feel full longer. That’s why it’s best to eat the fruit itself rather than just drink orange juice and/or other citrus drinks alone.
Try adding splashes of citrus slices to your meals and/or snacks throughout the day to help you attain all the added benefits of their healthy assets! Replace processed snacks with these fruits for even more fuel for your day!