I am always looking for easy side dish recipes that my boys will enjoy. They do like the Orzo Pasta with Spinach recipe I make and this is a spin off that recipe. This recipe is just as easy to make as opening a box of Rice-a-Roni! It really doesn’t take much additional time to make it homemade.
The first step is to brown the orzo pasta in butter. Then you add the onion and cook until softened. After the garlic sautes for a minute, add in the broth and rice to simmer for about 20 minutes. After all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is soft, sprinkle with fresh Parmesan cheese! It couldn’t be any easier!
- 1 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ Cup Orzo pasta
- ⅓ Cup Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ Cup Uncooked White Rice
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon Parsley
- ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add orzo and cook until golden brown.
- Stir in onion and cook until onion is soft and translucent; about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in rice, chicken broth and parsley. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. The rice should be tender and liquid absorbed when done.
- Remove from heat and add Parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!