If you’ve been following my recipe posts then you know that I love pasta and trying out new dishes is always a fun and flavorful experience. This vegetable lasagna is truly unique; its calls for eggplant, zucchini and POTATOES as our noodle substitution and let me tell you it was delicious! Try it for yourself and you may never go back to noodles again.
Use a slicer to ensure that the potatoes are all the same thickness. This will ensure that the potatoes are cooked evenly.
Roast the squash and eggplant with a splash of olive oil before placing in the veggie lasagna.
- 1 medium, firm eggplant
- 1 medium-large, firm zucchini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- (1) 28 oz canned tomatoes ( I used one flavored with basil, oregano & garlic)
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 15 oz container of part skim ricotta cheese
- 8 oz fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 8 oz shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 egg
- 4 small baking potatoes, peeled and sliced ⅛ inch thick with a multipurpose slicer
- Salt & pepper
- ½ tsp rosemary (divided)
- ½ tsp thyme (divided)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Chop the ends of the eggplant and slice into ¼ inch thick slices lengthwise. Salt and let drain on a dish towel for 30 minutes.
- Chop the ends of the zucchini and on an angle slice ¼ inch thick slices. Salt and let drain alongside the eggplant on a dish towel for 30 minute.
- After 30 minutes use a dish towel or paper towels to pat dry the eggplant and zucchini. Try to remove as much water as possible.
- Divide amongst 2 baking sheets, lightly brush with 2 tbsp of olive oil and roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the ricotta cheese, 4 oz parmesan cheese, 4 oz mozzarella cheese, parsley, salt & pepper (sprinkle to taste) and the egg; mix well and set aside.
- In a second bowl combine the remaining parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- In the bowl of a food processor combine the canned tomatoes, basil, oregano, sugar and minced garlic; puree until smooth.
- Lower the oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- In a casserole dish begin layering your lasagna. Start by ladling about a cup of sauce onto the bottom of the dish.
- On top of the sauce layer ½ the eggplant and zucchini slices followed by a ladle full of sauce, then crumble ⅓ ricotta mixture on top of that.
- Next layer on your first layer of potatoes and season with ¼ tsp of rosemary and ¼ tsp of thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- On top of the potatoes place another ladle full of sauce and crumble ½ the remaining ricotta mixture on top followed by the 2nd layer of eggplant and zucchini.
- Ladle on sauce and the remaining portion of ricotta mixture, top with 2nd layer of potatoes and season with rosemary, thyme and salt and pepper.
- Top with remaining sauce and the bowl of parmesan cheese & mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with a sheet of lightly greased tin foil and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until a deep golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice, serve & enjoy! Yields 8 servings.
Make sure you check out my other easy recipes!
This recipe may be linked at I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Two Maids Milking, The Saturday Evening Pot, Permanent Posies, 33 Shades of Green, Blackberry Vine , Polka Dots on Parade, Southern Lovely, Crystal & Comp, Tatertots & Jello