Summer is fast approaching and the lazy afternoons sipping slushy drinks and smoothies poolside will blend into licking popsicles and drippy ice cream cones as we soak up the sun and enjoy the outdoors! My husband thought far ahead and bought me the ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid mixer for Christmas and we’ve been experimenting with flavors ever since! This recipe is so unbelievable delicious I had to share!
For this recipe you will need an ice cream maker. It will be well worth the effort though!
- 1?2 cup caramel sauce (a high quality or thick homemade version is highly recommended)
- 1?2 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 3?4 creamy or crunch peanut butter (whichever you prefer)
- 3?4 cup sugar
- 1 1?4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1-1?2 tsps pure vanilla extract
- In a microwave safe bowl heat caramel sauce for 20-25 seconds until warm but not too hot to the touch. Add salt and stir until dissolved, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together peanut butter, sugar, whipping cream, whole milk and vanilla until the peanut butter is mostly incorporated. Let sit for 5 minutes and whisk again to really smooth out the peanut butter and to make sure any remaining granulated sugar is dissolved.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Pour into an ice cream maker (I used the ice cream attachment for my KitchenAid mixer) and churn until ice cream is beginning to thicken (approximately 7-10 minutes but may vary, follow manufactures instructions for your ice cream maker). When thickened add salted caramel & churn for 10-15 seconds ONLY or pour 1?2 the ice cream into a freezer safe container add the salted caramel and top with remaining ice cream; swirl with a butter knife to incorporate the salted caramel throughout the ice cream.
- Freeze for at least 8 hours. The longer it freezes the firmer it will become.
- Serve & enjoy!