Peanuts! Cashews! Pistachios! Corn Nuts! When I hear these words I immediately want to crunch on these small wonderful little treats all day long, but unfortunately they are foods best consumed in moderation. However, I recently ran across a recipe for roasted chickpeas and upon further research realized that they just might be the happy & healthy alternative I’ve (and maybe you’ve) been searching for. I opted to try a recipe for a sweeter version of this crunchy snack by following (with a bit of tweaking) the recipe posted by Stef at The Cupcake Project. Try it for yourself and see if they fill your cravings for something crunchy!
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained and dried.
- 4 tsps olive oil
- 1 ½ tsps cinnamon
- 3 tsps brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place dried chickpeas in a single layer on pan. (Note: Thoroughly dried chickpeas result in crispier crunchier end product, while less dry yields a crunchy exterior and a chewier center. Depending on preference either pat dry with paper towel or spread out and allow drying on paper towel for 45-60 minutes before roasting).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Give the pan a good shake approximately every 5 or 6 minutes to make certain the chickpeas roast evenly on all sides and to help prevent spontaneous popping.
- Test them for preferred texture at end of bake time. Continue baking if they are not crunchy enough for you or remove from oven and transfer to a bowl.
- In the bowl add the remaining ingredients and toss to coat each thoroughly.
- Enjoy hot or bring to room temperature and store in an air-tight container.
Latest posts by Ashley @HowtoHaveitAll (see all)
- Double Glazed Pumpkin Scones Recipe - October 30, 2014
- Apple Pie Muffins with Streusel Topping Recipe - October 27, 2014
- Roasted Acorn Squash with Walnuts & Cranberries Recipe - October 25, 2014