Bust out, dust off and get ready to use those crock pots again! Tis the season for lots of slow cooked, hot and ready meals for the cooler weather that’s headed our way!!!
Choose a variety of peppers for a bright and cheery presentation!
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- Salt & pepper
- 6 small bell peppers
- 10 oz lean ground turkey or beef
- ½ cup diced pepperoni (substitute with mini pepperonis if you prefer)
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 14 oz jar of pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded pizza blend cheese
- ½ cup water
- In a small pot bring 4 cups of water to a boil, toss in a dash of salt and add pasta. Cook for 3 minutes then rinse and drain in cold water, set aside.
- Wash and dry all 6 peppers, cut tops off on stem side (reserve tops), then remove seeds & membranes. Next cut a small slice off bottoms to allow peppers to stand upright in the base of your slow cooker.
- Sauté ground turkey or beef (seasoned with salt & pepper), pepperoni and mushrooms in a large skillet over medium high heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain if necessary.
- Stir in pizza sauce, 1 cup of shredded cheese and cooked pasta.
- Divide filling evenly between peppers.
- Stand upright in ½ cup of water in the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Place reserved pepper tops on peppers, cover with lid of slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- minutes before end of cook time, remove lid, remove pepper tops (again reserve tops), sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese evenly between peppers, once again cover and cook for the 10 minutes to allow cheese to melt.
- Remove peppers using a slotted spoon.
- Serve & enjoy! Yields 6 servings.
Make sure you check out my other easy recipes in my recipe index!
This recipe may be linked at I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Two Maids Milking, The Saturday Evening Pot, Permanent Posies, 33 Shades of Green, Blackberry Vine , Polka Dots on Parade, Southern Lovely, Crystal & Comp, Tatertots & Jello