Chili is one of our favorite cold weather meals to make. It is filling and warms you up! I often make my two meat chili. However, we enjoy trying new recipes too. Johnsonville sausage recently asked me to come up with an Italian sausage based chili. My family loves the flavor of Italian sausage! We use it in pasta dishes and on pizza. This got me thinking of a pizza chili!
The Johnsonville Italian Sausage, pepperoni and pizza sauce add a lot of flavor to this chili recipe. You don’t need to add a lot of additional spices.
This chili smells fantastic while cooking!
Place a heaping scoop of chili in each bowl and garnish with mozzarella cheese before serving.
- 1 lb. Johnsonville Italian Sausage
- ½ large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 15-oz. pizza sauce
- 15-oz. tomato sauce
- 15-oz. chili beans
- 15-oz. can kidney beans
- 15-oz. can Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 ½ oz. sliced pepperoni
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- mozzarella cheese to garnish each serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add Johnsonville Italian sausage and brown.
- When sausage is browned, remove from skillet. Place sausage in slow cooker.
- In the same pan that you cooked the sausage, saute the onion. Use the pan drippings to cook the onion until translucent; about 5 minutes.
- Add onion to slow cooker.
- Add garlic, pizza sauce, tomato sauce, chili beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, pepperoni and chili powder to slow cooker. Mix well.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours.
- Before serving, add mozzarella cheese.
* The pepperoni and chili beans make the chili spicier. I didn't add as much chili powder as I normally do because of this. Adjust the chili powder to your liking.
Latest posts by Renae Chiovaro (see all)
- Getting Your Greens in With Evolution Fresh - May 29, 2015
- File it Friday: Balloon Luminaries, Wind Spirals + More - May 29, 2015
- How Much Screen Time Do Your Kids Get? - May 26, 2015