Soups made in the slow cooker are so easy! It makes for a quick and hearty meal. This potato cheese soup has minimal ingredients yet it’s packed with flavor. We usually have leftovers with this recipe which is great for lunches.
When the potatoes are cooked, I use an immersion blender to blend the soup. I do like to leave some chunks of potatoes for texture.
For some extra flavor, throw some bacon bits or chopped ham on top!
- 4 Potatoes, medium
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 3 Leeks, chopped (or yellow onions if you prefer)
- 6 Cups Chicken Broth (Healthier Option: Use low sodium)
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup Cream (Healthier Option: Substitute 2% milk)
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add leeks (white parts only) or onions. Cook for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Peel and chop potatoes and put in slow cooker. Place the leeks/onions in slow cooker with the potatoes. Add chicken broth, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high 4-6 hours.
- To make the soup creamy, blend with a immersion blender or transfer to a regular blender (be careful as it will be hot!). Blend soup until smooth (I like to leave a few chunks for texture).
- Place in a large pot on the stove over medium heat. Add in milk and cream and heat until warm. Slowly stir in shredded cheese.
- Serve & enjoy!
Time Saving Tips:
- Chop onions with a food chopper, I love my Pampered Chef Cutting Edge Food Chopper.
- While the onions are cooking, peel and chop the potatoes. Add the potatoes, chicken broth and spices to the slow cooker while you are waiting for the onions.
- You can use the same basic recipe for other vegetable soups such as broccoli or asparagus!
Make sure to check out the rest of my easy recipes!