My husband’s alarm goes off at 4:15 every weekday morning; he runs in the morning then fixes breakfast and makes coffee before heading out on a 45 minute commute to work. In order to help him save time and energy in the morning but still get that first important meal of the day I’ve been keeping our freezer stocked with breakfast sandwiches and most recently breakfast burritos.
There are so many variations that you could do for this recipe. Adapt it to your taste!
After you roll up the burrito, wrap it in waxed paper and package for the freezer.
- #8 12” tortillas (any variety)
- 32 oz Better N’ Eggs-liquid egg substitute ( I use this because its less expensive than using up a dozen and a half eggs, plus less calories, fat and cholesterol)
- 1 ½ cups of shredded cheese (I used 1 cup cheddar & ½ cup of spicy habanero & red pepper blend cheese---but pepper jack would also work great or any spicy cheese you enjoy)
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt & pepper
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ – ⅔ cup chunky salsa
- Spray a large and deep sauté pan with cooking spray and begin by cooking the green peppers on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes to tenderize them.
- Pour in eggs, sprinkle on cheese and season with salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Scramble all ingredients together and cook on medium until cheeses are melted and eggs are no longer runny (they’ll be soft set).
- Remove from heat, cool for 5 or 6 minutes and then gently fold in salsa.
- Scoop approximately 1 cup of scrambled eggs onto one end of each wrap, fold over each side and roll up into a burrito.
- Wrap in wax paper, seal and store in freezer.
- Yield 8 freezable breakfast burritos.
- Serve & enjoy!
This recipe may be linked at I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Two Maids Milking, The Saturday Evening Pot, Permanent Posies, 33 Shades of Green, Blackberry Vine , Polka Dots on Parade, Southern Lovely, Crystal & Comp, Tatertots & Jello