Menu planning is great and essential to an ordered life and to keeping a food budget in hand, but we’ve all had those days where we just don’t have it together and wind up standing in front of the fridge or opening the cupboards hoping something meal worthy will jump out at us. Different flavor combinations and different foods are fun to experiment with and can result in absolutely delicious meals (even easy meals)! This recipe evolved from one of those “what do I have on hand moments,” which happened to be rice, sausage & beans and it’s now one of our favorites! In less than 30 minutes you can enjoy it too!
Recipe: Spanish Rice, Sausage and Black Bean Skillet
- 6.8 oz box Rice-A-Roni Spanish Rice
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (substitute light or yogurt butter for less calories)
- 2 cups of water
- 14 ½ oz can of Del Monte Diced Tomatoes (I use one pre-seasoned with basil, garlic & oregano)
- 15.25 oz can of black beans, rinsed & drained
- 14 oz Polska Kielbasa Sausage Rope, sliced diagonally into ½” pieces (smoked sausage, beef sausage and/or turkey sausage ropes also work well)
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- In a medium sauté pan with lid, add butter and rice/vermicelli mix, brown according to package instructions.
- When lightly golden brown, add water, seasoning packet, red pepper flakes and diced tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice sausage and lightly brown in a separate sauté pan over medium-high heat until sides have a nice charring to them and they are heated through.
- Combine with rice and tomatoes and simmer together.
- Approximately 5 minutes before end of cook time, or when about ¾ of liquid is absorbed and rice is nearly finished cooking, add black beans and cook until all remaining liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Serve & Enjoy!
- Top with cilantro, basil or hot sauce for additional flavor and a bit more heat.
- Serve with a salad or crusty bread to complete the meal!
Copyright © HowtoHaveitAll.net.