Homemade hummus is fairly easy to make and generally tastes better than store bought! This hummus is addicting—tangy, spicy and oh so delicious! Hummus is a very versatile dip or spread. Use as a spread on sandwiches, wraps or pizza flatbreads or dip for veggies, crackers, soft pretzels or any number of things. In fact leave the mayo off sandwiches and use hummus for a healthier alternative!
The one trick to making good hummus at home is to use a food processor. That is the key to getting a smooth hummus dip. Also, make sure you take the time to process each set of ingredients thoroughly. Scrape down the sides of the food processor as you add ingredients too.
Other easy hummus recipes:
- (2) 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed & drained
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (+ extra if necessary to reach desired consistency)
- ⅔ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1-2 tbsp. water
- cayenne pepper (to garnish—optional)
- In the bowl of a food processor combine tahini & lemon juice and process for 1 minute; scrape edges and process for an additional 30-45 seconds. In order to get smooth creamy hummus you really need to take the time to process each set of ingredients and allow each to reach a really creamy smooth consistency.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil, minced garlic, salt, cumin, red pepper flakes and feta cheese to the food processor. Process for 45 seconds; scrape edges and process and additional 30-45 seconds or until smooth.
- Add ½ the rinsed and drained black beans and process for 1-2 minutes; scrape edges and add the remaining black beans and process for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Slowly add 1 additional tbsp of olive oil then water until you achieve the texture you’re looking for. Do not add too much water---no more than 2 tbsp should be sufficient.
- Transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with cayenne pepper.
- Serve & enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator!