Cabbage is an inexpensive vegetable and is a great side dish. Since it is winter and many fresh vegetables are out of season, try to use more “cold weather” vegetables. Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and potatoes all are reasonably priced and good choices in the winter months.
Recipe: Vinegar Cole Slaw
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 jar sliced green olives
- 1 bag cabbage “Cole Slaw” mix: cabbage, red cabbage, & carrots (or you can use plain cabbage and/or cut it yourself)
- Place the sugar, vegetable oil, & white vinegar in a pan over medium heat. Heat until it boils- stand over it and stir to help dissolve sugar.
- Pour the hot, bubbly mixture over the cole slaw mix.
- Add salt & pepper to taste. Then, add 1 teaspoon celery seeds and a small jar of sliced green olives.
- Chill & serve with your favorite fish dish and/or shrimp!
If you like cabbage, make sure you check out the Bacon Cabbage Side Dish recipe!
Copyright © HowtoHaveitAll.net.