Capt. M’s favorite homemade jelly is Apple Peel Jelly. What I love about this jelly is that it is made from the leftovers from making applesauce! I use the peels and apple cores to make apple juice that is later made into apple jelly.
Place apple peels and cores into a 5 quart stockpot. I fill the pot with peels and cores leavings just enough room for 5 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes.
As the peels and cores cook you will notice the juice starting to form making a nice shade of pink. (The color may vary depending on the variety of apple used. I used Gala apples.)
Strain off the juice and discard the peels and cores. I used a strainer with two layers of cheesecloth over top. Do not press on the peels as you strain the juice. You want to end up with clear liquid and not sediment.
Let the juice sit overnight. The sediment will be on the bottom of the container. See the white stuff in the picture?
- Apple Peels and Cores
- 5 Cups Water
- 1 Box Pectin
- 7 Cups Sugar
- Add peels and cores to a 5 quart stockpot. Add in 5 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain off juice using cheesecloth or a jelly bag. You should get about 5 cups of juice.
- Let the juice sit overnight to reduce sediment.
- Add 5 cups of strained juice to a stockpot. Gradually stir in pectin.
- Bring mixture to a rolling boil for one minute.
- Add in 7 cups of sugar.
- Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute.
- Skim foam and place in hot, sterile, ½ pint jelly jars.
- Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.
Make sure you check out my other canning recipes!
This recipe may be linked at I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Two Maids Milking, The Saturday Evening Pot, Permanent Posies, 33 Shades of Green, Blackberry Vine , Polka Dots on Parade, Southern Lovely, Crystal & Comp, Tatertots & Jello
Latest posts by Renae Chiovaro (see all)
- Healthy Snack Idea: Frozen Grapes - August 29, 2015
- File it Friday: Peach Milkshake, Wood Pumpkins + More - August 28, 2015
- Seasoned Tomato Sauce Canning Recipe - August 24, 2015