If you follow the recipes on this blog then by now you know I am a HUGE pizza fan. I recently came across a pin on pinterest claiming that Greek yogurt and flour combine to make an incredible pizza crust in less than 10 minutes. I was to say the least pretty excited and intrigued by this. I clicked, read the recipe and thought “OK, simple.” I should have known it wouldn’t be that easy; as I continued to read the comments posted by other viewers of the recipe it appeared there was some debate on how much flour, what type of flour and how much Greek yogurt were actually needed to do this, so after a little more research on various search engines and probably half a dozen different yogurt based pizza crust recipes I ended up using the following combination of ingredients and the result was one soft, moist and surprisingly flavorful crust. It beats a frozen pizza in my book and the added protein is a nice side benefit.
- 1 cup of Greek nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup SELF RISING flour + additional for dusting solid surface and kneading
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Additives: fresh herbs & seasonings (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine Greek yogurt, flour, oil and salt and mix together with a wooden spoon until all the dry flour is well incorporated into the wet ingredients.
- Sprinkle a solid surface liberally with flour and lightly dust your hands as well. Using your hands gather the dough into a ball and lay out on the floured surface.
- Knead dough using additional flour as necessary until the dough is moist but not sticky and stretchable without breaking off when you give it a small tug.
- Once ready, lightly dust a rolling pin and roll the dough into desired size and shape; transfer to a baking sheet or pizza pan.
- Prebake pizza for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with favorite pizza sauce, cheese & toppings.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until crust on bottom is lightly golden brown and cheese is melted.
Latest posts by Ashley @HowtoHaveitAll (see all)
- Dark Chocolate, Pistachio & Sea Salt Cookies Recipe - December 15, 2014
- Fudgy Avocado & Oat Brownies Recipe - December 4, 2014
- Homemade Bagels Recipe - November 24, 2014