I am trying to get away from boxed pastas and potatoes. In years past it was so easy to just make boxed scalloped potatoes. Now that I am paying attention to ingredients a bit more, I would rather make homemade items. It’s actually very easy to make cheesy potatoes from scratch- especially if you use a slow cooker!
For this recipe, I use a mandolin to slice the potatoes. A mandolin ensures that the potatoes are sliced a consistent thickness. This ensures even cooking. Be cautious using a mandolin though as it’s easy to cut yourself if you don’t use it correctly!
Before the ingredients are placed in a slow cooker, a cheese sauce is made. This is done by sauteing the onions in butter until soft. Then add the cream of mushroom soup,water, cheese and seasoning.
Make sure you spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer half of the potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker pot. Pour half of the cheese sauce over the sliced potatoes.
Then place another layer of potatoes and top with the remaining cheese sauce. The cheese sauce will incorporate with the potatoes as it cooks.
Recipe: Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (10.75 ounce) or homemade cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a sauce pan melt butter and saute onions until soft.
- Add cream of mushroom soup, water, cheese and seasoning. Heat until the cheese melts and it becomes a smooth sauce.
- Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour some sauce over them. Place another layer of potatoes and then the remaining sauce over the top.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Add a cup of cubed ham for a whole meal.
- Experiment with other cheeses.
- You can also use cream of chicken soup if you don’t like mushrooms.