Mexican food is always packed with flavor and easy enough to duplicate at home. I (Ashley) read about a restaurant called Chipotle’s and their famous burrito bowls and was intrigued by the idea. I have never ate there but I love burritos. Since I am committed to making healthier choices this year and cutting out some of the extraneous carbs in my diet, I thought this might be something fun to try out at home. These burrito bowls were so much fun to create and tasted great! Give it a try—assemble your favorite burrito ingredients and layer as you choose.
To make my burrito bowl I used the following ingredients:
- Cilantro Lime Rice (or rice of choice)
- Lettuce/spinach, roughly chopped
- Black beans, rinsed and drained
- Tomatoes, diced
- Avocado, sliced
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
Burrito bowls are similar to creating a salad bar! Set out individual bowls and let each person assemble their own bowl based on the ingredients they like. Optional other ingredients you might want to include: chicken, steak, shrimp, onion, shredded cheese, jalapeños etc.
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Fresh squeezed lime juice (from 1 lime)
- Salt (to taste)
- Combine all ingredients for chipotle cream sauce in a food processor and blend until smooth then chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare rice and any other ingredients that need to be cooked if including in your bowls.
- Prep other ingredients and set-aside until ready to assemble dishes.
- Once cream sauce has chilled, begin assembling burrito bowls as desired. I began with a base of rice then layered on spinach, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado cilantro and topped with a dollop of salsa and drizzled my bowl with chipotle cream sauce!
- Serve and enjoy!