Comfort food! There really is no other explanation needed. We all have our favorites-this is mine.
The potatoes in this recipe are layered and sprinkled with flour and seasoning. The flour will act as a thickening agent during the baking process.
You will need a large casserole dish for this recipe. If your slow cooker crock is oven safe, use that!
- 6-10 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced using a multi-slicer to ⅛ inch thick (approximately 2 ½ lbs)
- 4 cups of ham, diced into small bite sized pieces
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup (I used 98% fat free)
- 1 pkg of onion soup mix
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup flour (more or less---measure may vary)
- Seasoning salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep a deep casserole dish (I used the bowl from my crock pot) with cooking spray.
- In a small pan combine cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, milk and butter; heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally while you assemble the rest of the dish.
- Set out ham, sliced potatoes, flour and seasonings so they are easily assessable.
- Begin by placing a handful of potatoes in a small bowl, sprinkle liberally with flour and seasonings, toss to coat. Then add a handful of ham and transfer to your casserole dish.
- Repeat until all potatoes and ham are layered in the casserole dish. Use as much or as little flour as needed to lightly coat each handful of potatoes and likewise with seasoning. In doing so each layer will help thicken the dish during baking and be seasoned throughout.
- Pour heated soup mixture over potatoes & ham and give a quick mix with a wooden spoon.
- Cover and bake for 1 to 1 ½ hours and then check on it, stir to break it apart and mix it up. If potatoes have softened considerably and are near finished increase heat to 400 degrees F and bake uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow the dish to cool and sauce to thicken for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy!
Make sure you check out my other easy recipes!
This recipe may be linked at I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Two Maids Milking, The Saturday Evening Pot, Permanent Posies, 33 Shades of Green, Blackberry Vine , Polka Dots on Parade, Southern Lovely, Crystal & Comp, Tatertots & Jello