I love Chinese food but have discovered that I much prefer making my favorites at home rather than grazing the endless dishes at the local buffet and my pocket book and stomach prefer it too! With a little help from your slow cooker this recipe will let you enjoy one of my favorite dishes (cashew chicken) and a night in!
The first step is to brown the chicken. This recipe could be very easy for a weeknight meal if you cook the chicken ahead of time. I like to cook extra meat over the weekend to make the weeknight cooking easy!
Coat the browned chicken with the yummy sauce before placing in the slow cooker.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into small strips or chunks
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ¼ cup less sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ - ¾ cup cashews
- In a large skillet heat canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile place chicken in a gallon sized Ziploc bag and add the flour, black pepper and Cajun seasoning; seal bag and shake to coat chicken with the flour and seasoning.
- Transfer chicken to the oil in the heated skillet and brown for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Then in a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes.
- Once chicken has finished browning on each side transfer to a slow cooker, pour sauce over chicken; stir together and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Add cashews and serve immediately over rice, noodles or stir-fry vegetables. Yields 4 servings.
This recipe may be linked at I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Two Maids Milking, The Saturday Evening Pot, Permanent Posies, 33 Shades of Green, Blackberry Vine , Polka Dots on Parade, Southern Lovely, Crystal & Comp, Tatertots & Jello