Popeye had the right idea when he scarfed down cans of spinach to grow big and strong. This leafy vegetable is a highly nutrient dense power-food; packed full of vitamins, minerals, protein, dietary fiber and even omega-3 fatty acids it offers us dozens of health benefits. Increase your intake and help yourself to some of those benefits with this simple and delicious soup recipe!
Recipe: Spinach Tortellini Soup
- 1 (49.5 oz) can of 99% fat free chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 ½ cups (10 oz) of frozen cheese tortellini
- ¼ tsp. black pepper (or more, season to taste)
- ½ tsp. garlic powder (or more, again season to taste)
- Half a small onion, finely chopped or 1 whole scallion, finely chopped (omit if you don’t like onions—like Me)
- 2 ½ cups of raw spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 ¼ cups Jimmy Dean’s 60% less fat turkey sausage crumbles (omit if you prefer no meat or try substituting seasoned ground beef or ground turkey)
- In a medium sized pot bring the broth, pepper, garlic powder, onion or scallion, and sausage to a boil over medium high heat; once boiling cook for 5 minutes.
- Then add the tortellini and continue to boil an additional 5-10 minutes. Tortellini has finished cooking when it floats to the surface of the pot.
- At this time add the spinach, reduce heat to medium/medium low and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat when spinach wilts but retains its bright green color.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- Easily double recipe if you require additional servings.
- For a complete meal serve alongside some fresh baked bread or a favorite artisan loaf, garlic toast or a compliment of crackers & cheese.
- For meal versatility experiment with favored seasonings like basil and oregano, or add a can of diced tomatoes to the recipe and if you’re really ambitious try making your own tortellini from scratch at home!
Number of servings (yield): 4