It never fails, we usually have a few very ripe bananas laying around. Luckily my boys love banana bread or muffins. Litsa shared this recipe for a healthy banana muffin recipe. There are a lot of ingredients in this recipe but these little bites are loaded with nutrition. This is a great way to get your child to eat healthy thing like flaxseed and whole wheat!
Recipe: Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
Summary: High protein and fiber breakfast muffin
- 15 ounces canned peach halves with juice, drained
- 5 ripe bananas
- 6 egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar (For low carb use Splenda or Sugar Twin brown sugar)
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 24 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Puree peaches and bananas in a food processor.
- Place pureed fruits, egg whites, oil, sugar, brown sugar, and yogurt in a mixing bowl. Beat with electric beaters or by hand until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, wheat germ, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and beat just until well blended.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Makes 24 muffins that freeze well & are loaded in protein (5g) & fiber (2.8g) for a healthy breakfast or a pick-up & go snack!
You can substitute other fruit for the peaches. Try canned mandarin oranges if you don’t have peaches on hand!
Make sure you check out the rest of my easy recipes!