One of my daughter’s favorite breakfast foods is French Toast, but on busy school mornings we don’t always have time to whip up French toast from scratch nor do I see buying the pre-made, pre-frozen French toast sticks that she always asks for in the store as a viable option. So we decided one morning to make our own and freeze them—just to see—our homemade version was a hit and our freezer has been constantly stocked with them since!
To make the french sticks thick enough, start with an uncut loaf of bread. Use either homemade bread or bread from a bakery. You might be able to find thick cut bread at a grocery store as a last resort.
Use a griddle to cook up the french toast sticks. Once they are cooked, let them cool and then flash freeze them. After they are frozen, you can place them in a freezer container for storage. Flash freezing them will allow you to take a few sticks out at a time without them all clumping together.
When you are ready to eat the french toast sticks, simply microwave for approximately one minute! This makes for a super quick breakfast!
- 1 loaf of uncut bread (bakery style or homemade—any variety you prefer will work)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp. milk or heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- Cinnamon & sugar mix
- Butter (for greasing griddle)
- Preheat a griddle or large pan to medium high heat.
- Cut the entire loaf of bread into 1 inch thick slices and each slice into 4 sticks.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, milk or heavy cream and vanilla until well mixed.
- Transfer egg mixture to a shallow dish big enough for dipping bread sticks.
- Liberally grease griddle with butter once heated, then working in small batches dip 2-3 sticks of bread and roll in egg mixture to coat and fry on griddle, turn the sticks every 30-45 seconds to a different side to cook. Each stick should take no more than 2-3 minutes each. Re-grease the griddle between batches.
- As you remove each French toast stick from the griddle sprinkle liberally with cinnamon sugar mix on all sides and set out to cool on wire racks.
- Once cool lay side by side on a baking sheet and freeze for at least 1 hr. Remove from pan and place in a freezer safe bag or container and store for future use.
- To serve, remove from freezer to a microwave safe plate and cook approximately 1 minute for 5 sticks. Adjust cook time as necessary.
- Serve & enjoy.