Quinoa is often used as a side dish or in salads. However, it also makes a wonderful porridge. Since quinoa is a complete protein it’s a perfect food to add to your breakfast options.This filling breakfast will get your day started right!
The pecans in this recipe are toasted. Simply place the chopped pecans in a skillet over medium low heat for about three minutes. The aroma of the pecans toasting is wonderful!
Enjoy the quinoa porridge with blueberries or your favorite fruit. Add maple syrup or honey for a splash of sweetness!
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 3 cups Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (or any variety you prefer)
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. 100% pure maple syrup
- ½ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- Soak red quinoa in a bowl for 10 minutes, then rinse under cool water through a fine mesh strainer. Shake out as much water as possible then transfer to a small pot with lid.
- Add milk, vanilla, cinnamon and syrup to the pot and bring ingredients to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender.
- Meanwhile in a small pan toast pecans on the stovetop over medium low heat (approximately 3-5 minutes); they will turn golden brown on the edges and let off a wonderful nutty aroma; set aside.
- Once quinoa has popped open and is tender, remove from heat and let sit covered for five minutes then fluff with a fork and divide between 2 bowls.
- Top with blueberries, toasted pecans and additional milk if desired.
- Serve & enjoy! Yields 2 servings.