One of my favorite recipes to make for a large crowd is a slow cooked pork roast that we turn into pulled pork sandwiches. The great thing about this recipe is that you can use the pork roast in several dishes since the barbecue sauce is not added until the end.
Slow Cooked Pork Roast
2 cups beef broth
4lb Pork roast (boston butt, pork shoulder or anything on sale. Don’t use a tenderloin though; it will make it too dry, plus it is an expensive cut!)
Garlic Salt, Pepper and Parsley
1 Bottle Barbecue Sauce (18oz) (If you plan on making BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches)
Pour can of beef broth into slow cooker, and add pork roast. Add in chopped onion and place around the pork. Sprinkle the meat with seasonings. Cook on High heat for 4 hours or Low heat for 8 hours, or until meat shreds easily.
Remove meat from slow cooker. The meat should be very tender and falling off the bone. To shred the pork roast, take two forks and separate the meat from the bone.
If you are planning to package some for the freezer or for other meals, you may want to take some meat out before adding BBQ sauce to the whole amount. The pulled pork is also great for carnitas style tacos!
For Barbecue Pulled Pork:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Transfer the shredded pork to a Dutch oven or iron skillet (I have used stoneware too).
Stir in barbeque sauce. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until heated through. This last step gives the meat some browned ends.
- This time I cooked an 8lb. pork roast. It would not fit in my crockpot so I used my roaster oven. If you have a roaster oven, I would suggest you try this! It turned out to be the best pork roast I have ever made. I cooked the roast at about 200 degrees for 3 hours and then turned it up to 325 degrees for 2 hours.
- Package the meat in meal size portions and place in freezer bags. Freeze for future use in a quick meal.
Make sure to check out the rest of my easy recipes!
Latest posts by Renae Chiovaro (see all)
- File it Friday: Recycled Can Cutlery Holder + More - April 17, 2015
- Writing as a Coping Skill for Children - April 14, 2015
- Pineapple Black Bean Salsa Recipe - April 13, 2015