Who out there enjoys coming home after a long & busy day to a home cooked meal? I know I do! Crock pot meals are great for the fix them and forget about them meals that are ready to eat when you are and this crock pot chili recipe is no exception. Fix it and forget about it and it will be “hot” when you’re ready for it, but not too hot, unless you want it to be!
Recipe: Slow Cooker Chili
- 15.5 oz can Dark Red Kidney Beans, rinsed & drained (substitute chili beans if you prefer—do not rinse)
- 11.5 oz V8 Juice or tomato juice
- 24 oz can of Hunt’s Zesty & Spicy Pasta Sauce
- 14.5 oz can of Del Monte Diced Tomatoes ( I used one seasoned with basil, garlic & oregano already)
- 10 oz can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies (I use mild, but if you like your chili hot then by all means grab a can of medium or hot)
- ½ tsp. ground cumin (or more, season to taste)
- 1 tbsp. chili powder (definitely more, if you enjoy a hotter spicier chili, season to taste)
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes (a little goes a long way, so take care if you add more, but if you like it hot be a bit more liberal)
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded & chopped
- 1-1 ½ lbs lean ground beef (you could also substitute with ground venison or cubed beef stew meat)
- Red pepper flakes, salt & black pepper (few shakes of each to season meat)
- Begin by browning ground beef in a medium sauté pan, season while cooking to infuse with a little flavor and heat. Drain when beef is cooked through.
- Meanwhile add all other ingredients to crock pot and set to low heat.
- When meat is drained, add to crock pot and stir contents together.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 hours. No need to check on it unless you want to.
This chili has great flavor and mild heat. If you enjoy a “HOT” chili then I suggest beginning with these basic ingredients and adding your own pizzazz with hot chilies rather than a green pepper, or even jalapeños or habanero peppers, likewise increase your spice amounts particularly the red pepper flakes and test midway through cook time to determine if its “hot” enough to satisfy you! Pair it with the accompanying recipe for sweet yellow cornbread muffins for just the right mix of sweet and heat!
For an alternate slow cooker chili recipe, try Renae’s Slow Cooker Two Meat Chili.