Nothing taste better with a slice of homemade apple pie than a scoop of vanilla ice cream right!?! If you said “YES” you’re wrong—cinnamon ice cream tops vanilla! If you don’t believe me, give it a try! Cinnamon ice cream would also be delicious with this apple cranberry crisp! Of course it is perfect all by itself too.
Making homemade ice cream is fairly easy if you have an ice cream maker. Ashley uses the KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment to make homemade ice cream. The benefit of making homemade ice cream is that there are very limited ingredients unlike store bought ice cream. Plus it just tastes so good!
- 1 c sugar (or corresponding sugar substitute)
- 1 ½ c half & half
- 2 eggs, at room temperature, beaten
- 1 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together sugar and half & half, bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering remove from heat and whisk half the hot cream mixture into the beaten eggs, do this quickly and briskly so that the eggs do not scramble.
- Pour the egg mixture into the remaining hot cream in the saucepan and add the heavy whipping cream.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon (approximately 5-8 minutes).
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract and cinnamon. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled pour into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers instructions (I processed mine for 30 minutes in my KitchenAide ice cream bowl attachment).
- Transfer to a freezer safe container & freeze for at least 4 hours; overnight is best.
- Serve & enjoy!
More Ice Cream Recipes:
Banana Ice Cream (no ice cream maker required!)